Sunday, August 29, 2010

Dylan's Blog...

In Advanced Math we started off with basic trig.

I understood most of it. (I'm more logic based than math.)

We learned to convert degrees to radians and vice versa.

I understood this the best...because it was the first concept.

degrees * pi/180

radians * 180/pi

Ex.

75 degrees * pi/180
(using pi as a variable of sorts)

75/180 = 5(pi)/12
(remember to treat pi like a variable)

6(pi) * 180/pi

1080 degrees (pi cancels)



Some of the other things we've learned are in the form of word problems and formula based.

s = arc length

r = radius

Θ = radians or degrees

k = area

Formulas:

s=rΘ

k=1/2rs

k=1/2r^2Θ



Ex.

Given:

r=36cm
Θ=3(pi)/2
s=?=

s=36(Θ)
s=108/2
s=54cm

By working a problem like this, you can learn to work out word problems with apparent size(Θ).

We also learned about the trig. chart. The trig. chart allows you to convert certain degrees to radians to a number.

I also understood this the best.

Ex.

sin 60 degrees = pi/3 = √3/2
(a problem like this needs a number, not a degree, except when stated)

Overall I learned more about trig. than I already knew. I grasped the concept of the unit circle, the trig. chart, and the entire chapter. Let's hope this test will be easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment